Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pad Thai Inspired Stir Fry

I enjoy Thai food. Two of my favorites are Pad Thai and Thai Fried Rice. This evening, I decided to create a stir fry that included some of my favorite ingredients from both dishes along with lots of other veggies. I stir fried asparagus, snow peas, broccoli, red pepper, carrots, minced garlic, pickled onion, pickled ginger, fresh pineapple, raw cashews, mushrooms, and tofu in 1/2 tsp of chili sesame oil. 1/2 tablespoon of Pad Thai sauce was added. (All of the bold faced items are used in the either Pad Thai or Thai Fried Rice.) I enjoyed the mixture with 1/4 cup of white rice and 1 tbsp chili honey sauce. My need for Thai food was met. Bean sprouts and some fresh lime juice would have been good as a final garnish but I didn't have any readily available.

Thank goodness for vegetable oil spray and non-stick pans. Otherwise, using 1/2 tsp oil to stir fry would not have been possible. I cut the tofu into small strips. After stir frying, they had an interesting chewy texture.

At an estimated 300 calories per serving, my calorie consumption should be much lower than I'd consumed had I ordered from the restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. hey! i thought i commented earlier - oh well, it's lost in cyberspace.

    looks yummy - sprout you some sprouts!! have fun next week! love, k

    ReplyDelete