Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Quilting Continues

My weekend was consumed with quilting. It's a good thing that it's a relaxing activity. One of the big challenges associated with machine quilting a queen size quilt is getting the quilt rolled tightly so that it will fit in the sewing machine. If you look closely, you can see some of the quilting lines in the back of the quilt. The quilt must be re-rolled each time the direction that is being stitched changes.





The second challenge is controlling the quilt as it moves through the machine. I completed machine quilting the diamond star. I was pleased that I purchased cotton batting from the sewing shop in Raleigh. It was "needle-punched" and much easier to manage that the cotton batting that I've used in the past. The experience makes me wish for a sewing cabinet that would allow the bed of the machine to be set at the same height as the table top. There was a reason that sewing machines in days gone by were sold with cabinets. Do you think Buddy could find a space on his future sailboat for a sewing machine and cabinet? I'm guessing that I best learn to enjoy sewing by hand.



Next, I'll do some free motion quilting in the big squares but am waiting for the special stencil that I ordered to arrive. The good news is that the 84" square of fabric is beginning to resemble a quilt.

1 comment:

  1. wow, that's a lot of fabric!!

    of course buddy can find room for a sewing machine and cabinet on the sailboat! it will do double-duty as a sail-repair instrument! love, k

    ReplyDelete