Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Yet Another Quilt Project!

For my latest project, I've committed to completing a quilt that Mom started a couple of years ago. Mom sewed a lot (288 to be exact) of small diamond shaped pieces together to make 8 large diamonds and then retired (at least temporarily from quilt making). She purchased the fabrics using a gift card that Kevin, Debbie and the kids gave her for Christmas a few years ago.

I determined that the light gray paisley background fabric that we originally picked out just didn't do the quilt justice and decided that it was time to find a solution. So, Buddy and LH were nice enough to ride with me to Raleigh on Saturday afternoon so that I could select fabric for the squares and for the border. They hung out and enjoyed lunch at a local restaurant while I went to my favorite fabric store. Hopefully, Mom will like the fabric that I selected on her behalf. I think it looks like a shade of pink that she would like. The border is actually a dark green with pink and cream flowers in it. Dad might appreciate the dark green accent. After a few relaxing evenings, the quilt top is complete but now I've got to actually quilt it, by machine of course. Since it is a queen size quilt at 84 inches square, this will be an adventure. It's the largest quilt that I've tackled.




Here's one more rose that's somehow blooming in the 100 degree weather that we've endured this week. Chosen because it looks like the roses in my wedding photo. One day I plan to use the pixels from some of the flower pictures that I've taken to develop a color scheme for another project. For example, this one might help me choose a lovely pink and cream combination.

Here's my little helper, Capi Lou, carefully monitoring household activities. In her opinion, it would be a tragedy to miss an opportunity for a treat.








1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharon! Love the color choices. Your Momma is one lucky lady!

    Be sure to have Buddy snap a photo when you are quilting the middle...will be interesting to see how much fabric is bunched-up in the throat of your machine!!

    See ya in a few weeks, love, K

    ReplyDelete